Google Voice is a great service – offering US users conference calls, voicemail sharing, international calls, custom greetings, voicemail transcription and more – all for free.
Google hasn’t offered a native iPhone app for Google Voice yet, which is where GV Connect steps in. A new iPhone app, GV Connect enables you to access your existing Google Voice account much faster and more efficiently than by using the browser.
GV Connect allows you to:
- Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number – enter number directly, select a contact from your device’s contacts, or call back any number in your history.
- Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number.
- Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) – voicemails will also show the transcription of the message when available.
- Mark messages as starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, or delete conversations.
- Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note.
- Messages are stored on your device for offline access.
- Composing notes and text messages can be done in landscape mode.
- Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb, message notifications, …) directly from within the application.
- Automatic checking for new messages while the application is active.
- Direct access to your device’s contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
- All communication is done with the Google Voice website directly, no need to hand over your account information to a third-party.
- Full support for fast app switching in iOS4 and high-resolution graphics for retina displays.
GV Connect [iTunes Link] is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.