2009 was a big year for the app store and the official numbers from Apple are in.
- The Sims 3
- The Oregon Trail
- Need For Speed Undercover
- Madden NFL 10 by EA Sports
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour by EA Sports
- Assassin’s Creed – Altair’s Chronicles
- Flight Control
- Cooking Mama
- Civilization Revolution
- Wheel of Fortune
No surprises here – franchise games did extremely well, with Electronic Arts making a big showing with 4 of their titles in the top 10. With prices generally in the range $4.99 – $7.99, we suspect that these figures represent the top grossing apps, rather than the top selling by volume.
One of the stand out success stories of the year was Flight Control from Australian development studio Firemint, who showed that a small team with a good idea can still shake up the established players.
- Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
- Real Racing
- Ravensword: The Fallen King
- Earth vs Moon: Ep.2 – Enter The Perk Shop
- Sally’s Spa
- Ragdoll Blaster – A Physics Puzzler
- Blades of Fury
- DOOM Classic
The Top Rated list paints a more inspiring picture for developers, with all but one of the titles coming from smaller studios.
Apps – Top Selling
- MobileNavigator North America
- MLB.com At Bat
- Textfree Unlimited
- TomTom U.S. & Canada
- Golfshot: Golf GPS
- SlingPlayer Mobile
- Pocket God
- Quickoffice Mobile Office Suite
- The Moron Test
Again, the Top Selling apps appear to be ranked based on revenue.
Apps – Top Rated
- Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America
- Jamie Oliver’s 20 Minute Meals
- I Am T-Pain
- CBS Sports: Live College Games
- SketchBook Mobile
- Star Walk
- Leaf Trombone: World Stage
With apps covering Cooking, Sports, Music, Photography, Education and Entertainment – the Top Rated list is a mixed bunch.
Developer Smule went from strength to strength in 2009. Building off the success of their Ocarina app, Smule managed to end up with two of their music titles – I Am T-Pain and Leaf Trombone in the top 10, showing just how quickly a quality development team can go from indie to commercial mainstream.